Wednesday 13 April 2011

All good things come to an end....

I just have no idea when this will finish. Will this be like painting the Forth Bridge? Oh no, that can last 25 years now between painting!



Before the clean up operation started. Rusty pipes and dirty bits!

After a bit of thinking today, I've decided to take the option of making the Monster look clean, but still keep some of the 18 year old character. Or in other words, get rid of the rust and other brown stuff off bits and pieces, but don't go too OTT and make it look brand new, because she isn't!

This afternoon was spent finishing off the spaghetti pipes. Lots of sandpaper used and I also found out the T-cut metal polish is a damn sight better than Autoglym metal polish!! After I finished off the large section of the spaghetti pipes I decided to do the rear cylinder section. Well, that was a stupid mistake!! The rear cylinder pipe is a pain to get off! My ratchet would not reach, no matter which extensions I used on it! The spanner didn't have enough room to move without having to strip the side covers, air box and fuel tank off! So, after getting the fuel tank, side covers and unplug the brake light sensor, I could final get about an inch of movement on the spanner!

Bruised knuckles later, and the pipe fell to the floor with a satisfying clang! God it looked awful. I thought the front down pipe was horrible, the rear was covered in rust. Luckily it is only small, and after a couple of hours of sanding and polishing, the pipe was back to a rather nice champagne colour, which I've found out now is actually the proper colour the pipes should be, not silver!! (opps)



Getting there slowly



Pipework put back together.







And finally all back on the old beast!

The only problem I have now found is that the list for the 'Winter' project is getting longer. Wheels need powder coating (or polishing), rear shock needs powder coating, replace brake reservoir, and paint or polish the footrest hangers.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

No comments: