Monday 7 January 2013

Back to playing with the cameras

Another thing I haven't played on for a while, my collection of camera equipment. Today I decided to dust off the Lowepro bag and give the old cameras and lenses a clean down. Tonight I was going to have a relaxing session with the camera, tripod, lenses and a Maglite.

Luckily, the yard where I work has three empty units and no external lighting within the confines of the industrial estate. The bottom corner by the canal is empty, with just a builders yard on the opposite bank of the canal. With all the camera gear set up, my Canon 30D and the stock 18-55mm lens attached, I headed off to the dark corner.

After faffing around for an hour with a selection of timed exposures, from 10 seconds to 30 seconds, and running round the car with the torch, either in a Tesco carrier bag to defuse the light or just changing the light setting on the torch. I finally had a selection of pictures to sift through and edit.

It was normal service, as with my motocross days, taking loads of pictures and only finding a couple that made me think; "yes I done a good job there!"

Here are the couple of images that caught my eye this evening;



With a bit more practice, I'll get the hang of it! 

Now I've found the instruction manuals for the 350D and 30D, I'll be able to play with the bulb setting a bit more.

Time to sign off and see what adventures I can have tomorrow.

2 comments:

M Oakley said...

Have you tried a polarising filter? I did some shots of the Aston Martin and the control over the reflections was useful at times.

Unknown said...

The second picture was taken with a polarising filter attached to the lens.

A bit more messing about with camera settings, lighting and the filter will get the pictures right.